Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Little Brain that Could

Our daughter Lexie is very intelligent and observant, I'm not saying this is a bragging sort of fashion (although I'm a proud parent!) but in a straightforward kind of manner. At 3.5 yrs old she is in the "Can I ask a Question About Everything" phase. I've never in my lifetime heard so many What, Who, Why, How or Whens than I do in one day around my daughter. It can be cute at times and then disconcerting at others. From her perspective she is just trying to learn as much as she can, which is very cool.....however you have to watch what you talk about around her or risk having to come up with some unique explanations of life.

She has also become the word police...any slip of the tongue - darn, stupid, sucks, etc. gets a response of - "Daddy, that's a bad word". Feeling sheepish you can do nothing at that moment accept to offer an apology.

In one memorable dinner conversation I was talking to Pam about a difficult work situation and Lexie continually piped in - "Who did it Daddy?" "What's a referral?" "What did you say?"

Pam once tried to spell out a word that she didn't want Lexie to catch on to, however the first letter of the word sounded like the word itself and Lexie filled in the rest!......Got to love the brain of a 3-4 yr old!!

No comments: